Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Stargirl (Stargirl #1), by Jerry Spinelli


Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Goodreads

Stargirl. From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, the hallways hum with the murmur of “Stargirl, Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with just one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with just one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. At first.

Then they turn on her. Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, panicked and desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal. In this celebration of nonconformity, Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli weaves a tense, emotional tale about the perils of popularity and the thrill and inspiration of first love.



Well, that was unexpected.

I found myself dealing with my own discomfort and prejudices as I read this novel: like the "normal" kids in the story, I wanted Stargirl to be less...weird.


(And can't you just picture Luna Lovegood as the quirky girl who does her own thing and doesn't care about what others think?  Oh, wait...)

 
Even though I wanted her to be normal, I was really sad when Stargirl changed who she was, just so she could fit in.  I wanted to tell her to be herself!  That it wasn't worth it and that she was wonderful just as she was!

Spinelli did a great job portraying what it's like to be an outsider during those sometimes-awful teenage years.


I highly recommend this book for young teens who are dealing with peer pressure and popularity issues.

2 comments:

  1. I seriously need to read this book. I've always heard how great it is. Added to my summer reading list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really great book! And it's a quick read, which is great for the summer months. :)

    ReplyDelete