Friday, March 29, 2013

A Stolen Life, by Jaycee Lee Dugard


Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Goodreads

In the summer of 1991 I was a normal kid. I did normal things. I had friends and a mother who loved me. I was just like you. Until the day my life was stolen. For eighteen years I was a prisoner. I was an object for someone to use and abuse.

For eighteen years I was not allowed to speak my own name. I became a mother and was forced to be a sister. For eighteen years I survived an impossible situation.

On August 26, 2009, I took my name back. My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard. I don’t think of myself as a victim. I survived.
A Stolen Life is my story—in my own words, in my own way, exactly as I remember it.



This was really hard to listen to. I am deathly afraid that something will happen to one of my kids, and this did nothing to assuage my fears.  

Throughout the book, my one overriding, eloquent thought was "holy shit."  

Initially, I couldn't believe that Dugard was narrating the audiobook version; it must have been painful enough to write it all down.  But really, who else could have done it justice?  A professional voice artist wouldn't have captured her "voice," nor would she have been able to evoke the same sense of horror.

I can't even begin to imagine how terrifying Dugard's life was.  It scares the ever-loving daylights out of me to think of my children in her situation.  Excuse me while I hide them away from the rest of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment