Thursday, May 9, 2013

Happy Toastmasters Anniversary to Me!

When my mother was a member of Toastmasters, it made sense because she's always worked in Communications.

When The Husband was a member of Toastmasters, I thought that Table Topics meant that four or five people sat around a table discussing a current event.  (It's not.)

When my company started a Toastmasters club, I scoffed.  Why would anyone voluntarily put herself out in front of 20 co-workers, just to be told that her public speaking sucks?

Hell.  No.

A year later, the joke is (still) on me.

I am a charter member of our club.

I am a club officer (though I took on a role that wasn't out-of-character for me, so I didn't feel any pressure to exert myself).

I have nearly completed my Competent Leader manual.

And today?

Today, I was elected President of our club for the 2013-2014 year.

It's amazing how much can change in just a single year.

I'm still afraid of getting up and speaking in front of people.  I still prefer to let others do the talking while I do the writing.  And I will always be an introvert.

But now?

Now I volunteer for whatever is needed in our club.  I have been asked to join a District-level committee.  And our club mentor has suggested that I run for an Area office next year, after I serve as club President.

Definitely.  Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment