Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen



Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Goodreads

Jane Austen's first published novel, Sense and Sensibility is a wonderfully entertaining tale of flirtation and folly that revolves around two starkly different sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. 

While Elinor is thoughtful, considerate, and calm, her younger sister is emotional and wildly romantic. Both are looking for a husband, but neither Elinor's reason nor Marianne's passion can lead them to perfect happiness-as Marianne falls for an unscrupulous rascal and Elinor becomes attached to a man who's already engaged. 

Startling secrets, unexpected twists, and heartless betrayals interrupt the marriage games that follow. Filled with satiric wit and subtle characterizations, Sense and Sensibility teaches that true love requires a balance of reason and emotion.




This has been on my TBR list since high school, but as there are always new books to read, I never thought I'd actually get around to this one.

Character-driven stories rarely intrigue me, but I'm glad I finally "read" (audiobook version) this book. My heart broke with the Dashwood sisters' hearts. I laughed at the ridiculousness of Mrs. Palmer. Swooned over Edward. Wanted to smack several characters at various points And am thankful that my marriage was not based on how much money I had or could gain (though I do tell my husband that I am his trophy wife and I married him for his money).

No comments:

Post a Comment