Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Awakening (Vampire Diaries #1), by L.J. Smith


Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Goodreads

A Love Triangle of Unspeakable Horror...

Elena: Searching for the ultimate thrill, she vowed to have Stefan.

Stefan: Haunted by his tragic past, he struggled to resist her passion.

Damon: Driven by revenge, he hunted the brother who betrayed him.

The terrifying story of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.







Um, okay.

So, I know that Smith wrote her series before Stephenie Meyer came onto the scene, but I couldn't help but think of Twilight.  The entire time I listened to The Awakening -- which, admittedly, wasn't very long before I gave up -- I was rolling my eyes and thinking this is such an Edward-and-Bella rip-off!

Yes -- even though Meyer wrote her books years later -- that's the only thing that kept running through my mind. 

Vegetarian vampire?  Check.  New kid at school?  Check.  Freaky-colored eyes?  Check.  Vampire interested in a human girl because of how she smells?  Check.

Check mate.  I'm done.

2 comments:

  1. I like the show but I couldn't get into the books. Elena was too whiny, Stefan too much the good guy, and Damon always got the short-end of the stick. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to have issues.

    Tsuki @ Tsuki's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to watch the show, so I think I'm going to stick with that version of TVD.

      Delete