Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday #5: 45 Pounds

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that highlights soon-to-be-published books.  This week's selection is...


45 Pounds, by K.A. Barson
Publication date: July 11, 2013
Publisher: Viking Juvenile

Here are the numbers of Ann Galardi’s life:
She is 16.
And a size 17.
Her perfect mother is a size 6.
Her Aunt Jackie is getting married in 8 weeks, and wants Ann to be her bridesmaid.
So Ann makes up her mind: Time to lose 45 pounds (more or less) in two months.
 
Welcome to the world of infomercial diet plans, terrifying wedding dance lessons, endless run-ins with the cutest guy Ann’s ever seen—and some surprises about her NOT-so-perfect mother.

And there’s one more thing. It’s all about feeling comfortable in your own skin -- no matter how you add it up!




I have always been overweight voluptuous, so it's not surprising that I like novels that feature non-skin-and-bones heroines.  I really want to dive into Ann's story and see how she fares in the end.  It sucks to feel less-than-perfect, and I hope she accepts herself for who she is...at any size.  It's a lesson that teenagers need to take to heart.

What are you waiting on?

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited for this one, too. I love contemporaries that focus on realistic teens. This one sounds awesome. Great pick!
    Natflix&Books' WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm really excited about the realism AND an overweight female lead. There aren't many out there!

      Delete